Friday, July 25, 2014

Are you a headhunter or a recruiter

Are you a headhunter or recruiter?

So as of recently I have joined the job search after my contract ended. I consider myself a proactive hunter but to cover all bases I do post my resume on a few of the job boards. In doing this I open the floodgates for recruiters to randomly “Spam” job openings that are not evenly remotely close to my resume/job search.

Advice for recruiters:

·         Take a moment to MapQuest the commute.

·         If your client is looking for 1-2 years, do not email someone that has 10, 15, 20 years of experience

·         Avoid True Spam – “here is the position, please respond back with your resume, and compensation and if there is an interested from our client we will let you know.

·         Be prepared to share the client’s name and location. So many times I hear “my client wishes not to have their name given”. This is a junior recruiter’s response in fear that the candidate will contact their client. Please understand that by not divulging your client, you run the risk of the candidate’s resume already being presented. Guess what…clients perceive this as you not qualifying the candidate.

·         Wages/Rate – please let candidates know what this is. Don’t reply with “open” or “market value”. If you don’t know the pay, go back to your client and get this information.

·         Closure – this is one of the biggest peeves I have. If I am going to take time to speak with you and or meet your client, give your candidate closure good or bad. If your client has gone “dark” then be honest with the candidate and tell them this.


Implement some of these bullets and you will be that much better of a recruiter.

No comments: